Medical treatment in Cuba will keep Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez
from being sworn in for a new term this week, a top official says, as
lawmakers debate what's next.
FULL STORY
January 8, 2013 -- Updated 2329 GMT (0729 HKT)
Chavez absence sparks succession talk
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
- NEW: Officials say Hugo Chavez will not be in Venezuela for inauguration day
- NEW: Government, opposition differ on what happens next; lawmakers debating issue
- Chavez's term automatically renews, the government says
- The Constitution makes it clear that this is not the case, opponents say
At the same time,
supporters and opponents of Chavez are bracing for a legal battle over
whether the inauguration can be postponed.
Venezuela's vice
president said in a statement Tuesday that the inauguration would occur
before the country's Supreme Court at a "later date," hours after the
opposition called on the nation's top court to decide whether that's
possible.
Chavez has been undergoing cancer treatment in Cuba for the past month, most recently experiencing respiratory complications.
Venezuela's Constitution provides guidance
on what should occur if a president cannot be inaugurated before the
National Assembly, but supporters and critics of Chavez have different
interpretations.
A statement from
Venezuela's vice president read before lawmakers Tuesday said that the
constitution authorized "at a later date, the swearing-in before the
Supreme Court."
"The process of
post-surgical recuperation must continue past January 10 of this year,
so he will not be able to appear on that date before the National
Assembly," the statement said.
Lawmakers were fiercely debating the issue Tuesday afternoon.
Henrique Capriles, the
man Chavez defeated at the polls in October, said earlier Tuesday that
the Supreme Court must clarify the confusion.
"There is a conflict here. What is the Supreme Court waiting on?" Capriles asked.
As far as the opposition
is concerned, Capriles said, the constitution is clear that the
president's term ends on January 10 and a new period begins.
If Chavez is unable to be sworn in, it creates a leadership vacuum that must be filled by the National Assembly president, and the possibility of new elections arise, Capriles said.
National Assembly President Diosdado Cabello has said that he has no intention of assuming power if Chavez is not sworn in.
The government contends
that Chavez's new term begins automatically because he was re-elected
and that the inauguration could be held later.
"When (the opposition)
talks about a power vacuum, they are proposing a coup," Cabello said,
the state-run AVN news agency reported.
There is no such
automatic continuity of power, Capriles said, arguing that "the only
thing that has continuity are the country's problems."
"If the constitution is
not followed, or there is a conflict of interpretation, the Supreme
Court has to take a position," he said.
Capriles expressed concern about unrest or political crisis in the absence of a decision by the high court.
Chavez, 58, has not been
seen in public since arriving in Havana for his fourth cancer operation
in early December, fueling speculation that his health is worse than
the government is letting on.
Last week, a government
spokesman said Chavez was battling a severe lung infection that has
caused respiratory failure. Ernesto Villegas said the president was
following a strict treatment regimen for "respiratory insufficiency"
caused by the infection.
His condition remained unchanged as of Monday, the government said in a statement.
"Treatment has been administered permanently and rigorously, and the patient is supporting it," the statement said.
If Chavez is unable to
be inaugurated before lawmakers on Thursday as scheduled, the
constitution says he can be sworn in before the Supreme Court.
But the wording is not
clear about whether the inauguration before the Supreme Court must occur
on Thursday, whether it must occur in the country or who should run
Venezuela in the meantime.
Chavez's party has
called for his supporters to gather in front of the presidential palace
on Thursday in support of the president.
CNN's Paula Newton and Esprit Smith contributed to this report.
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário