January 5, 2013 -- Updated 1425 GMT (2225 HKT)
The men accused in the gang rape and killing of an Indian woman have
been summoned to appear in court Monday to hear charges against them,
authorities said Saturday. FULL STORY
Suspects in New Delhi gang rape case to appear in court Monday
January 5, 2013 -- Updated 1446 GMT (2246 HKT)
Public outrage over India gang rape
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
- The suspects will go before a so-called "fast-track" court
- They were charged with murder, rape and kidnapping
- The incident occurred last month in New Delhi
- More women officers have been deployed to handle complaints in New Delhi
The fatal attack of the
23-year-old woman last month in New Delhi prompted protests over the
country's treatment of women and handling of sexual attacks. It also
stirred worldwide outrage.
The suspects will appear
in a so-called "fast-track" court in a southern New Delhi district, a
Metropolitan Magistrates' Court said, according to CNN's sister network,
CNN-IBN.
Fast-track courts expedite cases in a court system bogged down by red tape.
Five men were charged Thursday in a New Delhi court with murder, rape and kidnapping.
Authorities were waiting
for the outcome of a bone marrow test before deciding whether a sixth
suspect in the attack will be charged as a juvenile or an adult.
The trial will begin as
soon as all of the evidence is gathered, said Suman Nalwa, deputy police
commissioner of a unit for women and children.
The case appears to have prompted changes in New Delhi law enforcement.
India's interior
minister has ordered the city's police stations to increase the number
of women officers to facilitate the handling of complaints from women.
Interior Minister Sushil
Kumar Shinde said Friday that each police station in Delhi should have
10 women constables and two women subinspectors.
"We will be posting
these women very soon, according to this order, by diverting staff from
other places and making them available in Delhi," police spokesman Rajan
Bhagat said. At present, women comprise 7% of police forces, he said.
Candidates will be recruited within four months, and training will take an additional nine months, he said.
Bhagat denied that the directive was issued solely because of the rape, but said it is aimed at helping women.
"We need overall more
women in the police station as other women feel more comfortable with
female officers," he said. "If all women complaints are attended to
promptly, situations like that of the gang-raped medical student may
have been avoided."
The interior minister said he is working with security officials to strengthen laws regarding rape and assault.
In the state of Haryana,
about 80 miles northwest of Delhi, officials plan to publicize the
profiles of rapists. The state will publish the names, addresses and
case numbers of convicted rapists on a website.
"In doing so, we hope to curb crime against women," said Laik Ram Dabbas, director of the state crime records bureau.
The website could be active this month, Dabbas said.
TOP ASIA STORIES
- Malala discharged from UK hospital
- New Delhi gang-rape suspects charged
- Gunman kills six in Philippine town
- Ban on 'straddling' bikes' draws Indonesia outcry
- Google chairman Schmidt to visit N. Korea
- Myanmar airstrikes raise global concerns
- Pakistan: Suspected U.S. drones kill 15
- Beijing land prices soar amid criticism
- Macau casinos end year on a high
- COPY http://edition.cnn.com/
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário