-
07/09/2013 - 00:54WASHINGTON (AFP)The takeover of US pork giant Smithfield Foods by China's Shuanghui International Holdings has received approval from a key US national security review, the two companies announced Friday.
The high-level Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States has approved the $7.1 billion deal, which would put the Chinese company in control of the world's largest swine grower and pork processor, they said.
The committee, which operates under the US Treasury, investigates any major foreign purchase of a US business that could be seen as damaging national security.
The clearance was an important hurdle to pass before the takeover goes ahead.
"We are pleased that this transaction has been cleared by CFIUS, and we thank the committee for its careful attention to this review," Smithfield chief executive and president Larry Pope said in a statement.
But the deal still faces a shareholder challenge. Earlier this week a key investor, Starboard Value, called on other shareholders to oppose the deal, arguing that the company would be worth more if broken up and sold piece by piece.
copy http://www.afp.com
Smithfield gets US security OK for Chinese takeover
Assinar:
Postar comentários (Atom)
Postagem em destaque
Ao Planalto, deputados criticam proposta de Guedes e veem drible no teto com mudança no Fundeb Governo quer que parte do aumento na participação da União no Fundeb seja destinada à transferência direta de renda para famílias pobres
Para ajudar a educação, Políticos e quem recebe salários altos irão doar 30% do soldo que recebem mensalmente, até o Governo Federal ter f...
-
更新时 秘鲁主要金矿开采区数千名矿工举行示威,抗议当局实施严厉措施,打击非法采矿。 根据政府实施的新规定,非法采矿...
-
Aqui no Não Curto você pode ver todos os programas da Rede Globo ao vivo e online. De segunda a segunda a programação completa da emissor...
-
Delação de Léo Pinheiro, da OAS, envolve Aécio e Geddel A delação premiada de um dos principais investigados na Lava Jato, o execu...
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário