TOP AFRICA STORIES S. Africa investigates building collapse

November 21, 2013 -- Updated 1924 GMT (0324 HKT)
South Africa's Department of Labour is investigating the "calamitous accident" in which at least one person died and 30 were injured. FULL STORY | VIDEO  Video

 

2 dead, 40 feared trapped in South Africa building collapse

By Jennifer Deaton, Susannah Cullinane, CNN
November 19, 2013 -- Updated 2048 GMT (0448 HKT)
A building in Tongaat, South Africa, collapsed on Tuesday, November 19, killing at least one person and injuring dozens more. Rescue teams rushed to the scene to help construction workers who were trapped beneath the rubble. A building in Tongaat, South Africa, collapsed on Tuesday, November 19, killing at least one person and injuring dozens more. Rescue teams rushed to the scene to help construction workers who were trapped beneath the rubble.
HIDE CAPTION
South African building collapse
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
>
>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Two people have died after a building collapsed in South Africa, emergency services say
  • Crisis Medical operations director says 30 people had been taken to the hospital
  • A crane has arrived at the scene to clear rubble to look for 30 to 40 people missing
  • A large amount of scaffolding and cement fell on construction workers
(CNN) -- At least two people have died and up to 40 people are feared trapped after a roof collapsed at a construction site in eastern South Africa, emergency services say.
The collapse occurred in the township of Tongaat, near Durban.
Thirty people have been transported to the hospital with injuries ranging from moderate to critical, Crisis Medical operations director Neil Powell told CNN from the scene.
Powell said the construction work had been taking place beside a shopping mall.
40 feared trapped in building collapse
"It's unknown exactly what caused the collapse. There was a large amount of scaffolding and cement foundation that collapsed on to some of the construction workers," Powell said.
He said the rescue operation was taking place "with a lot of difficulty" as darkness fell.
"A local crane has arrived to start clearing the rubble to look for unaccounted people," he said.
"We're waiting at this stage to get to the rubble that is still crushing an estimated 30 to 40 people."
The South African Press Association reported that a 100-meter area of 18-inch-thick concrete slabs had collapsed late Tuesday afternoon local time.
Sapa reported that the the collapsed building was a shopping mall under construction.

TOP AFRICA STORIES

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Postagem em destaque

Ao Planalto, deputados criticam proposta de Guedes e veem drible no teto com mudança no Fundeb Governo quer que parte do aumento na participação da União no Fundeb seja destinada à transferência direta de renda para famílias pobres

Para ajudar a educação, Políticos e quem recebe salários altos irão doar 30% do soldo que recebem mensalmente, até o Governo Federal ter f...