November 21, 2013 -- Updated 1924 GMT (0324 HKT)
An 85-year-old U.S. veteran of the Korean War was detained in North Korea minutes before his jet was to leave Pyongyang. FULL STORY
|
VIDEO
California man pulled off plane in North Korea, detained, son says
November 21, 2013 -- Updated 1421 GMT (2221 HKT)
85-year-old American stuck in North Korea
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
- NEW: U.S. officials advise Americans not to travel to North Korea
- Merrill Newman, 85, was detained on October 26 in Pyongyang, his son says
- Newman was taken off a departing plane by North Korean authorities, his son says
- Newman has a heart condition, and the family is uncertain if he has received medication
The family has had no
contact with Merrill Newman of Palo Alto, California, since he was
detained on October 26, his son Jeff Newman said.
"This is a
misunderstanding. My father is a (Korean War) veteran and wanted to see
the country and culture he has been interested in for years," Jeff
Newman said. "He arranged this with a travel agent that was recommended
and said was approved by the North Korean government for travel of
foreigners. He had all the proper visas."
The U.S. State Department is working to resolve the matter with North Korea's top ally, China.
Ambassador Glyn Davies,
the U.S. special representative for North Korean policy, met with his
Chinese counterpart in Beijing for several hours Thursday.
"We are working very hard
... to try to move this issue along," Davies said after the session.
"We certainly think that North Korea should think long and hard about
(this) and understand that for the United States, this is a matter of
core concern for us."
The relationship between
North Korea and Washington has been especially testy in recent years as
the United States and other world powers have tried to limit the
nation's nuclear ambitions.
On Tuesday, the State Department warned Americans not to travel to North Korea.
Previously, the agency
had warned U.S. citizens of the "serious risks" of travel to the
reclusive country -- including arbitrary arrest for what would be
innocuous acts elsewhere. But its last travel warning, issued on October
1, didn't include the stronger language advising against all travel.
Newman's arrest appears
to be "an indication that North Korea seems not to be seeking a better
relationship with United States," Davies said. "They are not taking
action to address our concerns."
Jeff Newman said his family has been working through the State Department since they found out that his father was being held.
"We've worked through
the State Department from the day he was supposed to depart," Newman
said later on CNN's AC360. "... We've heard nothing."
Newman said what he has
heard has primarily come from his father's traveling companion, who was
on the plane when he was taken off. He identified the traveling
companion as Bob Hamrdla, a friend who lives in the same retirement
community.
North Korea has not
publicly acknowledged it detained Newman. But the family believes the
elder Newman's military service during the Korean War may be related to
his detention, his son said.
Park Syung-je, chairman of the Seoul-based Asia Strategy Institute, says Newman may have been arrested on espionage charges.
As a Korean War veteran,
Newman might have told his minders he fought against North Korea. They
may have reported it, and it resulted in his detention.
Pyongyang previously announced that the safety of Americans cannot be guaranteed on North Korean soil.
Meeting with authorities
The day before Newman was to leave North Korea, he and his tour guide met with "one or two Korean authorities," his son said.
During that meeting, Newman's service record was discussed, he said.
"I understand my dad was a bit bothered," Newman said. But neither he nor his traveling companion believed there was an issue.
The next day, Newman and Hamrdla boarded a plane for Beijing.
Five minutes before the plane was to depart, authorities boarded and asked to see Newman's passport, his son said.
According to the
traveling companion's account, the authorities then asked the elder
Newman to leave the plane with them, Jeff Newman said.
When the plane landed,
Hamrdla immediately contacted the U.S. Embassy in Beijing to report
Newman had been taken off the plane, the younger Newman said.
'Trip of a lifetime'
The elder Newman was
enjoying the trip and called home from North Korea to tell his wife
about it, his son said. The family also received postcards sent by
Newman during the tour of North Korea, he said.
The younger Newman called his father "old school," saying he never talked about his service and the Korean War.
The trip to North Korean
was "months in the planning," the younger Newman said. His father and
Hamrdla booked the trip through a Chinese tour company that set up the
tour, which included the services of two tour guides.
"It was the trip of a lifetime," he said.
The elder Newman suffers
from a heart condition, his son said. Medication was delivered to the
North Koreans via Swedish diplomats, but he said he is unsure if the
medication made it into his father's hands.
"We would like to know
his status. We would like the Swedish Embassy to meet with him to ensure
he's getting his medication," Jeff Newman said. "At the end of the day,
we'd like him to get on a plane and fly back to San Francisco. He's an
85-year-old man who followed all the protocols. He did everything that
he was supposed to do."
Other detentions
Newman is the second American being held in North Korean.
Kenneth Bae,
an American citizen, was arrested in November 2012 and sentenced in May
to 15 years of hard labor. The North Korean government has said he was
found guilty of "hostile acts" and attempts to topple the government.
North Korean authorities
have arrested four U.S. citizens for entering the country illegally
since January 2009, the State Department said in its travel advisory
Tuesday.
Two other U.S. citizens
who entered the country on valid visas were arrested for other reasons,
and U.S. officials have received reports of other Americans being
arbitrarily detained, according to the State Department.
South Koreans have also been detained.
In 1999, a South Korean
woman named Min Young-mee was detained for six days after apparently
saying the wrong thing on a tour to North Korea's Kumkang Mountains.
"I hope the two Koreas
reunite soon so we can visit each other," Min said. "North Korean
defectors are living well in the South."
A North Korean minder
for the tour group reported her remarks to North Korean authorities. She
wasn't allowed to return home with her tour group. After a written
apology for violating North Korean laws, she safely returned to the
South.
TOP ASIA STORIES
- U.S., Afghanistan reach security pact | Elders weigh in
- China's reforms: Letting the economy fly more freely
- Climate talks bog down in rich-poor split
- U.S.: Arrests show growth of North Korean meth trade
- 200,000 Chinese dolls seized at U.S. ports
- Australia serves up drinking rules
-
Cadaver dogs aid in typhoon recovery
- Nepal votes to elect new assembly
- Copy http://edition.cnn.com/
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário